Monday 10 November 2014

Graveyard Ghost? Does This Photo Capture A Spooky Spirit In St Mary’s Church In Hull

It’s an image that has haunted Jamie Penn for days.
At the stroke of midnight on a Halloween ghost tour in Hull city centre the ghostly shape of a man in a top hat loomed from the shadows behind a tomb.
Mr Penn, a carer from Hull, snapped a photo of the dark graveyard scene in St Mary's Church and was shocked when he saw the picture on his phone.
Mr Penn said: “We all went down there as a group to have a bit of fun on Halloween, but I never thought we would see anything.
“I was a bit skeptical about the whole thing but I was taking photos all through the tour, just in case anything popped out, and then I saw the man in the hat.
“The gentleman is just standing behind the tomb and you can see him staring directly at the camera - it really freaked me out.
“I’ve never been on a ghost tour before and never seen anything like it so it’s got me thinking about what other ghosts might be lurking out there.”
The tour’s organizer and leading Hull historian Mike Covell says ghost sightings are on the rise in the city centre.
The writer and Jack The Ripper expert, who set up his company Amazing Hull Tours several years ago, said there has been a big jump in the number of customers who have seen ghostly figures.
Mike Covell said: “I’ve been running ghost walks in the city centre for about a year now, but over the past few weeks there has been a big rise in the number of people who say they have seen ghosts.
Mr Covell took walkers to St Mary's Church in Lowgate, where a number of people saw a man in a large top hat standing behind one of the tombs.
It was the second time in only two weeks that Mike says one of his walkers had spotted a ghost at St Mary’s Church.
“The other day one of the women on my tour said she saw the figure of a woman in white walking through the graveyard.
“What I hadn’t told her at the time is that this is a sighting that has been mentioned in history books going back 100 years, but the story has never been published in any of the papers, so I’m not sure how she could have known about it.”

SOURCE: Hull Daily Mail



No comments: