Sunday 7 July 2013

Ghosts, mediums and the paranormal: An interview with Anne Rice


Ghosts, spirits, and dis-embodied souls have all been the frequent subjects of scholars, witnesses and laymen, alike. Thousands upon thousands of books have been written on the existence or non-existence of these entities.
Rarely do two people agree on the subject and even then their stories are likely to be different.
But, what is it about all things para-normal that keep us riveted and continuing to ask questions and seek out answers? Is it simply the human need to believe that life continues past death and our unwillingness to believe this is all there is? Probably.
However, Anne Rice, iconic author of over 30 novels, including “The Vampire Chronicles”, “The Lives of the Mayfair Witches” and her last, “The Wolf Gift” has been asking these questions about spirituality for as long as her fans can remember.
And now, with the publication of her next novel, “The Wolves of Mid-Winter”, a sequel to “The Wolf Gift”, scheduled for October, she continues to use her myriad of immortals, spirits, and ancient beings residing in her pages to ask all those interesting questions her and her readers want answers to.
Her Facebook posts are equally as fascinating and the “Anne Rice Examiner” decided to ask her about these recent posts regarding mediums, a private read and human existence.
Once again, as only Mrs. Rice can, with complete honesty and candor, are her answers to life’s” little” questions:
1) Fans of your work know all too well about your interest in spirituality and all things possibly beyond this realm. What I'm sure they'd love to know is why the interest? Is it strictly curiosity and a thirst for knowledge or is this a more personal journey?
I have always been driven to ponder spiritual questions. I cannot escape them. Why are we here? Why do people believe in God? Who is God? Why do we fight over concepts of God? I cannot stop asking these questions. And I have always loved stories pertaining to the supernatural from stories of the great Catholic saints and their miracles to stories of ghosts and spirits, and discarnate entities channeled through mediums to discourse on the meaning of life. I never stop asking, never stop searching, never stop seeking to understand.
2). Besides vampires, werewolves and other immortals, ghosts have always been characters you continue to write about, yet you have stated many times you have never experienced anything slightly supernatural, despite having lived in the "most haunted city in the world". Do you believe this is due to having a highly analytical mind or just not being sensitive enough or just no luck?
I have no idea why I have never seen a ghost. I have no idea. I do know that some people see ghosts and believe in what they see, and some people simply don't see them and many don't believe in ghosts period. But why? How? I know not. I am very curious about the body of literature on ghosts built up over the centuries, including stories from ancient times to the present. I believe that ghosts exist; they haunt; they manifest. But who or what they are precisely, I do not know. I am open on the topic. And I love to write about it in my novels. ------------ In "The Wolves of Midwinter," I explore ghosts on two levels. A very personal ghost appears at Nideck Point and appeals to Reuben. This frightens and horrifies Reuben and fills him with compassion for this ghost. And a group of spirits appear who may be ghosts or simply discarnate entities. There is controversy over that. But they are real characters in the novel, especially one of them, their leader. I love writingabout these beings and will continue to do so.
3). You recently posted about finding a medium for a private read. Houdini devoted much of his life to debunking these very same people in hopes of discovering someone who could communicate with the dead. Are you looking for solid proof or proving the opposite?
Yes, I think I am always looking for solid proof. I have spoken to psychics in the past and been very impressed at times with what they said. I have spoken to many Catholic priests. Some experiences with psychics are good. And sometimes one can be quite impressed at the moment and then question the matter later on. I am always searching. I do a lot of what people call "new age" reading including all kinds of books by psychics or those who claim to talk to the dead, or beings from beyond, and so forth. I search all the time through this literature to find well written, well reasoned and eloquent (meaning clear and effective) books on these topics. I have quite a library of these books and always have. I also study the bible, and study many Christian thinkers. I am reading Bishop Spong right now, a radical and liberal and finding his take on Christianity and why it must change to be very helpful and insightful.
4). Do you consider your John Edward read a success and if so, why?
Yes, I enjoyed the time I spent with John Edward and he impressed me as completely sincere and genuine and I was moved by things that he said. I am saddened by a lot of the public criticism of him and do not know what to make of it. But I came away liking him. There was nothing really life changing for me in the experience. I liked him and enjoyed him. He is certainly a positive guy, and a gentle guy. I'm not sure what we can learn from the type of information that John seems to be able to provide. But I like him a lot.
5). NDE's are also of great interest to you. Do you fear death?
I do fear that there will be nothing. I do not believe that there will be nothing. I believe that there is an afterlife which is quite beyond our imagining and I believe we are united there with those we love. This is the most persistent pattern I see in Near Death Experiences that are recorded from people all over the planet: that we do enter another realm and that we do encounter our deceased loved ones. I have read thousands of accounts and this theme comes up over and over, indicating that "family" is one of the most important aspects of life on earth. I am intrigued and encouraged. But yes, I fear death, and I think it is entirely normal to fear death. I think part of what we do here, for whatever reason, is live with cosmic uncertainty. I feared death less when I lived in New Orleans, perhaps because it is so natural there to talk about the reality of death, to celebrate and speak of one's deceased family and friends, and the cemeteries are everywhere, and death is so accepted. In California, some times, you get the feeling that death is not a proper topic for discussion. But in general I would say that I fear death about like just about anyone else.
6). "The Wolves of Mid-Winter" is due out in October and promises a continuation of Reuben's tale, as well as, some new additions. Can you tell us if other immortals or supernatural creatures stop by?
Well, a whole spiritual race is introduced in the book, and I am interested in developing their history in future books. Also there is a tragic ghost and I'm not sure that I am entirely finished with that ghost, though the situation is resolved in the novel. Also there are some Ageless ones...humans who don't age...in the book also and I want to get into their history in future novels. "The Wolves of Midwinter" opens doors on these various topics, while also opening doors on what other kinds of Morphenkinder there are in this world and how they might come to have friction with each other. Also the book continues Reuben's personal development which has always been the main theme: Reuben is learning every day from his new powers, his new werewolf friends, and he is experiencing all kinds of things pertaining to his parents and his brother Jim. This book focuses of course on Christmas or Yule and what it means to Reuben and the Morphenkinder, especially Felix who has become like a godfather to Reuben in the werewolf world, and it uses the celebration of Yule and the Yule season to examine all of Reuben's increasing knowledge. A big focus is on the brother and father of Reuben. it is kind of their book, really, as well as Reuben's book and Felix's book. In later books, I may focus more on Laura,and more on the other Morphenkinder. ------- "The Wolves of Midwinter" continues to be about opening doors, going deeper, moving out from the central theme. This is quite the opposite from the Vampire Chronicles books in which so many doors were closed in every book.

No comments: